Wednesday, November 14, 2007

My two missing gallons


Early this year, in Jan 2007 I was paying $1.87 per gallon of gasoline, but now the price is over $3/gal for gas. I used to get five gallons of gas for ten bucks, but now only get three. Where are my missing two gallons? How do I get them back?

Well, the gallons are not literally missing, it is just that the dollar is worthless. Still, there is a way to get them back.

First the average all american car gets 20 miles per gallon, so 20 miles X 5 gallons gives me 100 miles which is what I could travel before. Now, if I get a small car like the Chevy Aveo which gets 34mpg the equation is 34 X 3 = 102 miles.

Actually, we are better off because less fuel means less CO2 and other greenhouse gases. And if I boost my miles per gallon by over inflating the tires, costing to a stop, and cutting the antenna (less drag) then I get 40mpg. Not only do I save the environment. I also save money.

0 comments: